Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Peanut Butter Granola

Quite by accident, I came up with a new granola recipe. My plan was to make peanut butter chocolate chip granola bars. This would be because I have really been craving Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. Bad, huh? I’m training for a sprint triathlon and all I really want is sweets. *sigh*

Anyway…a few years ago (when my oldest son was an infant), I found this amazing granola bar recipe on the internet. I can’t remember where I found it, but I used it for ages. As soon as number boy number 2 came along, I wasn’t as motivated to use this recipe. A few weeks ago, I decided to pull it out and this week got to point of trying it with a few variations. The granola bars came out granola rocks, so I broke it up to use as granola cereal. Good idea, huh? It doesn’t taste quite like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, but I was under no illusion that they would.

Here’s the recipe with my changes...

Ingredients:
Dry:
2 cups oats
¾ cup quinoa flakes
¾ cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup crushed almonds/peanuts

Wet:
2/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup honey
¼ cup all natural peanut butter
4 Tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
½ tsp salt

Extras:
½ cup raisins
½ cup chocolate chips

Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl and roast on a cookie sheet in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.

Combine wet ingredients and simmer in a saucepan until they are combined and melted. It looks really creamy and gooey (for lack of a better word).

Put the extras (raisins and chocolate chips) in the pan that you combined the dry ingredients in. After the dry ingredients are done roasting, put them back in the bowl with the extra ingredients and pour the melted, hot wet ingredients on top and stir everything together.

Press into a 13 x 9 inch pan that has butter wax paper in it and press down with more wax paper.

Let cool for a couple of hours. After it is cooled, crumble up to use for granola!


I hope you enjoy this, even if it doesn’t taste like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup!

This is a guest post at These Five of Mine Plus Two
I will also be linking up with A Wise Woman Builds Her Home

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...