Tuesday, December 20, 2011

5 Meal Ideas for Food Allergies

by Lorie at MommyandKiddos.com

We have learned in the last year that my son(below...ignore the mess behind him) has allergies to wheat, dairy and eggs. It was also brought to our attention that my husband has an allergy to wheat and dairy can be an issue, if he eats too much. These allergies do not cause life threatening conditions. We don’t have worry about either one of them breaking out in hives or not breathing. The symptoms experienced are those of an upset stomach, gas and stuffed up nose. I am assuming upset stomach and gas are what my son experiences since as he can’t talk, yet. He arches his back, cries (some screaming) and becomes clingy and whiney when he has eaten any of these allergens. Additionally, I must be careful of what I eat (which I haven’t been lately *cringe*) because he is still nursing and can get these foods through breastmilk.

Extended family members have also found that they are dealing with food related issues such as dairy, eggs and wheat.

So, in an effort to help all, I am going to put up 5 ideas for each meal that don’t use wheat, dairy or eggs. I do want to mention, though, that they DO contain spelt. Spelt is a kind of ancient wheat that has less gluten than traditional wheat. While my family is allergic to wheat, they are NOT allergic to spelt. We also use regular dairy butter as many times butter is considered a fat instead of dairy and my son does not seem to be allergic to it.

Breakfast:

Rice Flour Pancakes (made with rice flour, egg substitute, rice milk)

Rice Flour Waffles (made with rice flour, egg substitute, rice milk)

Cinnamon Applesauce Bread (made with spelt, egg substitute)

Smoothies (made with bananas instead of yogurt)

Oatmeal---with add-ins such as applesauce, raisins, cinnamon

Lunch:

BLT’s (made with rice cake instead of bread)

Salmon Salad (use a rice cake to make a sandwich)

Nachos (make it deluxe and don’t use cheese)

Salad (make it deluxe and without cheese)

BBQ Beef Sandwiches (made with rice cake or this spelt bread, barbeque sauce)

Dinner:

Stir Fry Chicken with Rice

Spaghetti and Meatballs (made with rice pasta or spelt pasta)

Mom Soup (basically vegetable soup)

Shepherd’s Pie

Potato Tacos (everything you would use on tacos except on fried or baked potaoes)

Snacks:

Coconut Yogurt (we use So Delicious brand)

Fruits

Vegetables

Spelt Honey Graham Crackers (they ended up more like cookies for us)

Wheat Free Pretzels

Z-Bars


I will be updating this site the rest of the week with the recipes I do not have on here for the meals I stated here. I hope this will help you come up with some new meals for you family or help you get started on your path to a wheat-free, dairy-free, egg-free diet.

Other resources that may help are searches under vegan foods as well as gluten free foods. Beware though that finding recipes that meet all these criteria is rare, as I can attest to in the last year I have been looking. If you have found other resources for all three, please let me know!

I love comments!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...