Tuesday, November 23, 2010

It's Beginning to...

Look a lot like Christmas!

Every year I am excited for the first "real" snowfall.  What I mean by "real" is when snow covers the ground and you can't see the grass through.  No "skiffs" of snow for me!  These last few day have DEFINITELY had our first "real" snowfall.  In fact, here in the northwest, we had the first blizzard warning I have ever heard of in the 9 years I have lived here.  Weather advisories say to not go out if you can help it and most of the schools in the area are closed for today and tomorrow.  It's hard to say how much snow we have due to all the blowing and drifts that have accumulated.

On the other hand, there is no denying how beautiful the snow is when it is fresh and just fallen on the ground.  It was amazing a few days ago just to see if lightly falling.  My 2 year old boy got to put on snow pants, coat, gloves and Spiderman boots (that light up) to play in the snow for the first time.  He absolutely loved it.  We know he got cold in the half hour to 45 minutes he was out there, but he was less than happy when it was time to come in and warm up.  I was just sad that I had no hot chocolate to make for him.  I remedied that during my trip to the supermarket yesterday.

I also remedied another frustration I had been facing.  I was looking all over Fred Meyer's holiday area of Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Santas.  You can't really be in the holiday spirit (particularly Christmas) if you haven't had a Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Santa.  I had been supplementing with Chocolate covered Reese's Peanut Butter Christmas Trees.  BUT...I found them!  They had put the little darlings in the candy bar aisle.  I was so excited.  I probably looked like a little kid in the candy shop.  It may sound funny, but I love the Santas.  It was the way my mom and I first "felt" Christmas was coming.  Since she is no longer with us, I like to keep this small tradition going and will pass it on to my little ones.

Now, it is time to get ready for the holidays by thinking of presents, decorations, baking and all the fun get togethers that come with this time of year.  I'm ready!

Last but not least, I wanted to mention that I am thankful for so many things in my life.  I have decided to take up a challenge that I saw on another blog to name in the next 6 months 1000 or more things for which I am thankful.  I have a few friends helping to keep me accountable as I am helping keep them accountable.

Here is one thing I have thought of in the last day:

Thank you Lord that I have warm clothes, shelter and a family to go home to.  I can't imagine people having to be out in the high of 11 degrees and wind chill factor of -9.  I pray that You keep these people safe through this bad weather.  Help each one of us to help others, no matter how small that might be, in their hour of need.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...