Friday, May 27, 2011

Recipe of the Week: Spelt Donuts

Mmmm...donuts.  Who doesn't want a nice donut occasionally? 

On the other hand, it's hard to just go and get a donut from the store that doesn't contain wheat, milk or egg.
Since the time I last blogged, we have found that my husband is allergic to wheat and dairy and my youngest son, who is 1 year old, is allergic to wheat, dairy and egg.  My youngest is still nursing, so I can't eat the things he can't eat.  Believe me, my head was spinning over this news (which I will try to blog about later) as I love eggs and love to bake.  Therefore, I needed to find ways to bake and cook with our new limitations.

Many of the recipes for baking that I put up will be adapted from vegan recipes.  My recipes are not vegan as we use things like honey and butter, which my family can eat even though they are allergic to dairy.  It has to do with butter being fat, I believe.  Where the vegan recipes contain wheat flour, I have, mostly, substituted spelt flour.

Now, on to the recipe!

Spelt Donuts
adapted from VeganYumYum


Dry Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup Spelt Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 3/4 tsp Aluminum Free Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp (scant) Nutmeg
1 tiny pinch or shake Cinnamon

Wet Ingredients:
1/2 Cup Organic Rice Milk
1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar or White Vinegar
1/2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
Egg Replacer for 1 Egg
4 Tbs Butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit

In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients with a whisk to mix thoroughly. Combine wet ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium low heat and mix until butter is melted. This mixture should NOT get too hot, you should be able to stick your finger in the mixture. It should feel slightly warm.

Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until combined.  Fill a regular or mini donut pan (they are harder to find) 3/4 full.  Bake for 12-13 minutes.  They will not be brown on top, but a toothpick should come out clean.  Let cool in pan for a couple minutes and then invert on top of a wire rack to cool.  You can wait for these to cool and put toppings on, but we usually eat them too quickly.  Plus, I like them plain. 

Makes about 10 regular size donuts or 20 mini donuts.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...