Friday, January 4, 2013

#1 Goal for the New Year

The New Year is a perfect time to make new goals.  A lot of people call them "resolutions," but I don't like the stigma attached to that wording.  Additionally, if you finish or reach a goal you can make a new one so that you keep making yourself better.  I wanted to share with you one of the goals I have made so far.  As I work on bettering myself, I will continue to make new goals which I hope to share with you.  As an aside, I have other goals that I just don't share such as reading more nonfiction, reading more scripture, etc. that I don't share because they are not as easy to get sidetracked as this goal I will be telling you about :o)

Last year, my main goal at the new year was to learn how to swim so I could overcome my fear of water.  Yes, I didn't really know how to swim, and I was afraid of deep water.  This is because I almost drowned in 5th grade.  I signed up for classes and learned through the month of January how to swim and overcame my fear of water.  In fact, my husband and I started to swim in the olympic size pool at our local community center where the greatest depth is 10 feet.  I had no problem doing this, and I was very proud of myself.  I hope to get back to swimming now that my bathing suit will fit, again.

This year one of my main goals is to get back in shape.  Yes, I know EVERYONE has the get back in shape goal.  I am seriously motivated due to complications I have developed over my last 2 pregnancies.  In my second pregnancy, I developed a diastasis recti that is now 3 fingers wide. This is where the ab muscles separate and don't go back together, which occurs in 98% of pregnancies.  Diastasis recti leaves mom's (this can happen in men too) with a "mummy tummy."  The "mummy tummy" is where women still look pregnant because the stomach sticks out due to the transverse abs not having enough strength.  I have been researching the internet and watching YouTube videos to find different ab exercises that work for diastasis recti because crunches are one of the worst things you can do as it makes the gap worse. I am also looking at ordering a Kindle book to give me more ideas as my abs get stronger.

Through my research I have found about 5 different exercises I can do that should help the condition.  I will be doing them 3 times a day.  Each of the groups of exercises I will be doing I estimate to take about 15 minutes, so this is not too long for my hubby to watch baby girl, if she is not sleeping.  Additionally, it is ideal if I remember to sit up straight, have good posture when standing, and draw my belly button to my back (which brings the transverse abdominis together) to let the abs learn how to stitch themselves back together. 

In addition to this, I plan to lose 13 pounds in the next 3 months.  When I weighed myself yesterday, on the Wii, I was 153 pounds.  I hope to get down to 140, which leaves me some room for acquiring muscle.  To help accomplish this I am going to do about 20 minutes of Wii exercise/play each day.  My oldest son has gotten very excited about playing on the Wii and when he wants to take a break, he has an adult play.  So, this should not be too hard to add into the day.  I usually do the snowball fight, super hula hoop, step aerobics, and a few various yoga poses on the Wii Fit Plus.  When it gets warmer, I hope to take my "workouts" outside and do some bike riding, walking/running, hiking, etc.  I feel it's best to do activities and not really make it an "exercise routine," which I could probably NEVER stick to without my husband prodding me along to keep at it.

Finally, to help lose weight and tone up I plan on eating better.  I know what this looks like, I just have to do it.  Less eating out, less carby (yes I made that up) snacks, smaller portions and more "real food" instead of processed (which we already do a lot of at our house due to allergies).

Wish me well on my journey!

If you have New Year Goals you have created, I would love to hear them!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...