Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies

I first heard of, and tried, these cookies at an event for Lakeside Chiropractic Center. They were delicious! So, I went home, found the recipe online, got some Quinoa Flakes and made them. The resulting cookies were HORRIBLE! I thought maybe it was because I had used almond butter instead of peanut butter. I tried them again, with peanut butter, and still pretty crummy, but not as bad as first time. Then, I got an amazing idea, why not ask the person who made them? She gave me the recipe (Thanks Suzie!), I made them, FABULOUS!!!

If you don’t know, quinoa is pronounced (keen-wah).

Try these for yourself and see how amazing they taste. If you are gluten free, these will be great for you. If you are dairy free, they will work as well if you use dairy free chocolate chips and a substitute for the butter.

Remember, even though they have quinoa flakes and brown rice flour, it is NOT a good idea to eat a dozen…at one time!

Ingredients:
½ cup butter, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup all natural peanut butter
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup brown rice flour
1 tsp baking soda
¾ cup quinoa flakes
¾ cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine the wet ingredients (butter, sugars, peanut butter, egg, vanilla) and then mix in the dry ingredients. Finally, add the mini chocolate chips and mix until well incorporated.

Using a cookie scoop put onto parchment covered cookie sheets and bake for 8-10 minutes or until browned around the bottom edges. Let cool on cookie sheet for a minute, transfer to wire to rack to cool and then eat!

Makes about 3 dozen cookies (if you don’t eat any of the dough…not sure who might do that!).

These were so good my youngest tried to take a cookie as I snapped the picture!

Note: my oldest had already taken a cookie. That’s why there are only 2 left when I started with 3 on the plate in the first picture.


If you try these, let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Kasey said...

Oh wow, I have a whole container of quinoa and rarely use it. I never thought to put it in cookies!! And I like the changes you have made to your design!!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...